Architects design buildings both residential and commercial which includes skyscrapers, hotels, courtrooms, libraries as well as houses. Architect works for both private and government firms as well as their own private companies too. An architect is responsible for the outlook of both interior and exterior of a building and he combines creativity and practical elements as well as other factors like social, political and religious dimensions. This is a career where you imagine a structure and then see it in real life. Architects design new buildings and refurbish old buildings by extensions and alternations. They may design a single building or a group of buildings which is a part of a mega project. They also design the surroundings and outside locations of a building to make it look more attractive. Unlike site engineers, architects work closely with their clients to make sure that every step they are taking is according to the needs of the client. They work with a team of constructors, engineers, surveyors and draftsmen from the beginning of the project till end to make sure everything is going in the right direction.
Here is preview of this Sample Architect Resume created using MS Word,
Although an architect only works as a designer of a building but that doesn’t mean he only makes the building beautiful. He also works as an engineer who considers every inch of the building through the eye of an engineer and then designs a design which is both beautiful and strong. This explains that when a firm hires an architect, it doesn’t only look for a creative person but also a person who has knowledge of engineering. An architect is supposed to have the knowledge of following three factors such as:
- A strong imagination to suppose how the society can be improved in which we live.
- A broad knowledge of all the engineering and construction works.
- Having a mind that can look into the future and then designing the building which will be suitable for the developed society and living attitudes of the future.
Unlike older times, now architects are an essential part of a construction. There is no construction that can take place before an architect works on its design and make it one of a kind formation. This is the reason that people are joining this career more than engineering and getting four year professional degree in architect and building design. According to a research, an architect earns about $44000 to $48000 per year which is quite a good figure. Their earnings majorly depend upon location of the building, country and the size of the project. Those architect who works with a firm as partners, get a percentage in the total profit but those who are just common employees only get regular salaries at the end of every month.
Key elements to include in an architect resume:
- Use a unique objective which matches the job you are applying for and avoid using an old one copied from a website.
- It’s very important to mention the names of your references and the firms who are willing to provide good history of your career.
- It’s not a healthy act to send out the same resume for every job but you have to analyze the job thoroughly and then reveal yourself in front of the recruiter so that you won’t be neglected.
- Architecture is a career where every little measurement matters and even a little mistake can make a big mess. So it’s very important to make your resume error free. Proofread your resume twice better let someone else read it and point out the mistakes for you.
- When sending out the resume by email, don’t use message like “please check the attachment for reviewing my resume”. Instead, put the text of your cover letter there and that will make a big difference.
- Instead of just talking about the duties and posts you had in past, talk about the goals and achievements and the scope of the projects that you designed.
There are some other things that you don’t want to add in your resume such as:
- There is no need to include personal information like hobbies of marital status because it’s just useless. No one will have time to read and consider all that and let’s face it, why would your employer be interested in number of your child or bank accounts.
- Always stick to simple formats and black and white edition of your resume. Avoid using a colored and multi font resume which will just look more complicated and hard to analyze.
- If you don’t have any experience, don’t lie about it but simply tell them that you are new in this career. If you have done an internship in some construction firm, don’t add that information in your resume because a 1 year internship can’t be equal to 1 year experience.
Here is download link for this Architect Resume,