Homemaker is the person who is making his/her reentry in the job market therefore a fascinating resume is essential for this purpose because employer still want to be acquainted with your capabilities. It is really hard to stay at home with small kids as compare to handle office works. Despite the hardships of homemaker, potential employer always interested to know about the time you had spent with your family that is usually presents as a gap on your resume. It is your responsibility to design a resume in a way to grab the attention of reader toward your skills and competencies instead of your gaps. You have to highlight important and relevant information to decrease all potential negativities. You should know the trick to highlight your skills and experiences while raising your family or volunteering.
Job Description of Homemaker
Following are some useful points that you can include in your homemaker resume to make it compelling and fascinating for the potential employer:
- Responsible to manage schedule and logistics for a family of seven members by creating and balancing priorities.
- Design and implement a cost effective budget according to the requirements of all family members.
- Become a coach for children to motivate and counsel them for the big challenges of their life.
- Teach them model of work and moral ethics and help them to implement it in the practical life.
- Homemaker is responsible to plan, organize and co-supervise the extracurricular activities at both places including inside and outside of the home.
- Mediate disputes among family members and provide solution on right time to settle the disputes.
- Responsible to provide important necessities of life like food, shelter, clothes and supplies.
- Manage all family finances and investments and help your hubby in doing all important works.
Here is preview of a Sample Free Homemaker Resume created using MS Word,
Tips to Write Homemaker Resume
Resume is equally important at every stage of your career because only resume can help you to answer different questions of potential employer:
- Functional format will be best for you so instead of looking for traditional chronological format you should stick to it. This format will help you to group experience according to skills instead of writing employments according to the date. This trick will help you to downplay the gaps of your resume while illustrating your work experience.
- Draft a skill summary while having focus on specific position for which you are designing your resume. For instance, if human resource is your target field then you have to highlight combination of skills from total experience history like “five years experience in HR generalist”.
- If your experience is not as strong as required then you can upfront educational qualifications. Typically, education section is placed on last place but if the experience is lacking then you can write it before professional qualifications.
- If your experience is minimal or irrelevant to the job you are seeking then you can write details of transferable skills that you have gained during your homemaker duration. For instance, if you had acted as a coach of your children then you can relate it with team leading skills or if you had controlled family budget then you can relate it with financial skills.
- You can write the details of volunteer works to show your involvement in the workplace during homemaker period. It will be beneficial to write about any recognition you have received from organization as a volunteer.
- You can create list of duties you were responsible for during taking care of home and family. Be creative and try to relate your home management skills with professional skills such as budgeting, counseling, organizing, scheduling trips and vacations etc.
Things to Avoid
You have to be very careful while designing a homemaker resume and following are some points that should be avoided in the resume:
- Avoid writing such kinds of details and information that can clearly reveal your career gaps. Be creative while writing anything to highlight your positive points.
- Do not send your resume to potential employer before proofreading it as it can ruin your first impression.
- Avoid writing too old dates in your resume because it can cause negativity in front of potential employer.
Here is download link for this Homemaker Resume,