A waitress is a lady who takes order and serves food in restaurants, bars and other eating points. Although there is a concept of self serving but people still want to eat in the place where waiters and waitresses are available. This job involves a lot of patience to handle all type of people and making them feel comfortable while eating so they would love to come again sometime. A waitress deals with rude people, screaming and crying babies and other costumers whom you just can’t make happy so it takes a lot to become a waitress. There are many customers who won’t give any tip even if the food was great and the waitress provided great services so it’s a little disappointment sometimes but overall it’s a great job. Women who become a waitress are those who have to support their family and take care of kids so this is an idea job for them because of the flexible duty hours and easy shifts. Also when it comes to big hotels, you can work on hourly charges and that way you have complete authority of coming to work and leaving for home.
This job is not that complicated when it comes to a small bar or undersized restaurant where you just have to put a menu card in front of customer and write what he or she wants to eat. After that you just serve them the food and give them check at the end and that’s it. But when it comes to a big hotel like Plaza, they require more than that. Administration there will check your personality, your accent, the way you talk to other people, the way you deal with tense situations and some other things. You will be asked to learn the whole menu and weekly specials and the suitable wine which goes right with the specific food. You will have to learn which type of people likes what and it will help you to decide the food for them in case they don’t have much information about different cuisines.
This is an ideal career for those who want to do a part time job or can’t give much time to a job due to personal or family problems. Duty hours are very flexible in this career and if you are working on hourly charges, you won’t need to punch a check in or checkout card. Secondly, both the regular salaries and hourly wages are very good as compared to duty tasks. An average restaurant pays round about $8 per hour without tips and about $7 per hour with tips and that good if we compare it to the job work and hiring requirements. You won’t need any special education or even a high school diploma to get this job and the required skills will be taught to you on the job by the employer.
Sample Waitress Resume:
Here is preview of this Sample Waitress Resume created using MS Word,
Key elements to add in a waitress resume:
- The one and only thing that matters is the way you look and the way you talk. No one will need the technical skills you have so there is no benefit to put that information on your resume.
- If you have worked in some welfare organization or as a volunteer in a hospital, which proves that you will be good with people so you may qualify for the job.
- If you have some extra skills like speaking more than one language or worked as an accountant, write that on the resume and that will surely get you an interview.
- If you have a diploma of public relations, describe it too. You will talk most of your duty times so that includes a lot of costumer dealing and skilled education of meeting people will help you recruiter to select you for the job.
There are some key points that you should be aware of before sending out a resume and should eliminate the errors such as:
- Don’t use a resume which contains more than one page. Don’t use complicated font and different colors instead stick to a single color and font.
- There is no need to include personal information because they won’t have time to review that information so it’s better to keep the resume as simple as possible.
- Don’t add information about the jobs that has nothing to do with waitressing. Just add details about the relevant skills and experience.
Here is download link for this Sample Waitress Resume,